The Barnet & Queensbury Circuit Header Drawn picture of East Finchley Methodist Church

Methodism: The Methodist Church

Picture of the Reverend John Wesley

The Methodist movement began in the eighteenth century under the leadership of the Revd John Wesley (1703-1791), an Anglican priest. He and his brother Charles (1707-88), the great hymn writer, met with other young men at Oxford University and developed a distinctive and very 'methodical' way of sharing their Christian faith together. The term 'Methodist' eventually became attached to those who followed them.

 

The movement grew and after John Wesley's death, split away from the Church of England and eventually became the Methodist Church. There are today about 300,000 Methodist members in Great Britain and about 75 million Methodists in 130 countries around the world.

 

John Wesley was a frequent visitor to Barnet (High Barnet) where he would frequently preach, probably in the open air, as well as change his horse for the journey north. The first formal Methodist society (later church) was formed at Barnet in 1760.

 

The Methodist Church works closely with other Christian churches and at High Barnet, Golders Green and at Mill Hill there are Local Ecumenical Partnerships with other denominations. In 2003 a national covenant was signed in the presence of the Queen at Methodist Central Hall, Westminster, by the leaders of the Church of England and the Methodist Church committing the two churches to work more closely together.

 

For further information about Methodism and the Methodist Church read further on the 'Methodist Church of Great Britain' website.